Homepage‎ > ‎Immigration & Visa‎ > ‎

Marriage Visa

Non-immigrant “O” Visa. (Marriage)

Issued to foreigners married to a Thai national. If the visa is obtained in Asia the “O” Visa is usually only issued for a single entry and valid in Thailand for a 3 month stay. 

If the visa is obtained outside of Asia this is usually issued for multiple entry. The standard one year Multiple “O” visa can be used for a one year with 4 ‘entries”. Every 3 months you will need to leave and renter the country. 

Once the “O” visa is issued be it single or multiple entry you can obtain a one year spousal extension. This is applied for at Thai immigration. 

The criteria for the ‘spousal extension’ of the Thai Marriage Visa includes the showing of the required minimum amount in a Thai bank account or income of at least 40,000 Baht per month.

  • A couple must be of legal age (17 years) upon filing for marriage registration, otherwise permission must be granted by a court.
  • Permission from the parents is required for parties under legal age.
  • Both parties must not be registered as married to anyone else (Multiple marriage registration is prohibited).
  • The parties must not be direct blood relatives nor be sister or brother through either parent. 
  • Adopting parents shall not be permitted to marry their own adopted child.
  • A widow or divorcee will be permitted to remarry not less than 310 days after the previous marriage has expired, unless 
    • Has given birth to a child.
    • Remarrying the same person.
    • Not pregnant, as certified by doctor. (in case of early remarriage)
    • Approval to remarry from a court is obtained.

Required Documents
  • Identification Cards of both parties.
  • The House Registration Certificates of both parties.
  • If an alien is registering to be married to a Thai citizen or another alien, he or she is required to submit following documents.
    • A copy of their passport.
    • A Letter of Certification, issued by an Embassy or Consulate or a Government Organization from their country, regarding the marital status of the person. 
    • The Letter must be translated, then certified by the relevant Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

  • Marriage registration can be filed at any District Office or Minor District Office nationwide regardless of the birthplace of the couple.

  • Once the marriage registration is completed, each party will be given a copy of the Marriage Registration Certificate as evidence.

  • If the marriage registration is filed at the District Office located in female's birthplace (where the name is registered on the House Registration Certificate), the title used with the forename and the last name of the female will be changed by the District Officer. The female is required to file for a new Identification Card within 60 days.  If the marriage is registered elsewhere, the female is required to contact the local District Office to change her name and last name, as well as filing for a new Identification Card. 

  • If both parties are unable to file for marriage at any District Office of Minor District Office, the couple can submit a request to the Registrar to register their marriage at any location under the supervision of that District Office. The parties filing for marriage are required to provide transportation for the Registrar.