Homepage‎ > ‎Business Services‎ > ‎

Business Licenses

Owning a majority share in a business usually requires a Foreign Business License as described below. An exception is US citizens who benefit from the Amity Treaty & can own 100% of business shares. otherwise foreigners can own only 49% of the shares with 51% being owned by a Thai citizen.

Thailand restricts or prohibits various business activities for foreigners through the Foreign Business Act BE 2542, unless an "Alien business Operation Permit" has been granted.

According to the Act there are three types of business activities:

  • List 1: Business not permitted to foreigners
  • List 2: Business permitted to foreigners under certain conditions
  • List 3: Business not yet permitted to foreigners
Lists 1, 2, or 3 of the Foreign Business Act in Thailand are subject to the limitations imposed by this Act.

List 1 are strictly prohibited to aliens.

List 2 are prohibited to aliens unless permission is granted by the Cabinet. 

List 3 are prohibited to aliens unless permission is granted by the Director-General of the Commercial Registration Department.

Contact us for your free consultation
Contact hotline: 096 165 1936


Foreign Business License

Most businesses require a business license or perhaps several business licenses. For example: If your company sells products and offers after sales service, then two licenses are required.

If you are a restaurant or bar you will need to have an alcohol license, a food license and a cigarettes license if you sell cigarettes (one for local cigarettes and another for foreign cigarettes). Also if you provide music, that's another license.

This is a good reason to hire a good lawyer because if you operate with the wrong or no licences your troubles are only beginning.

Call us for a free consultation
Hotline: 096 165 1936